Military K-9 Dogs
What is a Military K-9?
A Military K-9 is a highly trained and certified dog that is either owned by the government or a kennel contracted by the government. Military K9s are not breed specific, and any dog can be used in the military, although German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois are often employed. Military K-9s have natural gifts of focus and aggression. They are very courageous and loyal to their handlers.
What do Military K-9s Do?
Military K-9s are valuable to all four branches of the United States Military. They have been used in combat through all wars in US history. Several types of Military K-9s are used in the armed forces today:
- Sentry Dogs or border patrol dogs are trained to help guard sites such as military checkpoints, ammunition depots and military compounds. They are skilled at working in the dark because they can detect enemies easily.
- Scout or Patrol Dogs detect snipers and ambushes. They are trained to work in silence. The presence of these dogs often intimidate attackers and snipers.
- Explosives Detection Dogs are valuable to the military because explosives can be hidden on a person, in a vehicle, or at a roadside location. Explosives Detection dogs alert their handlers by smelling chemicals used in weapons. Labradors and German Shepherds are most often used for explosives detection. Their sense of smell is forty-five times greater than a human’s; they can detect explosives better than any piece of military equipment designed for this purpose.
- Casualty Dogs are trained to search for and report casualties lying in obscure places. These dogs have saved many lives throughout history.
Military K-9s have been known to mourn their handlers for a long time if they are killed in combat. Military K-9s have also been diagnosed with PTSD when they have been through extremely stressful conditions. Often, these particular dogs are adopted by military veterans or families of fallen soldiers so that both the dogs and humans can cope with their trauma and loss together.
How Does Dogs On Duty Support Military K-9s?
Often, the Military K-9 and the handler are overseas for extended periods of time. The handler has no way of purchasing supplies that the canine may need and sometimes ends up sacrificing his own needs to provide for his canine partner. Dogs on Duty ships toys, treats, training and reward items and beds and hygiene items to the Military K-9s that are in combat overseas. Watch for our Treats For Tails boxes around the holidays.
How Can You Help Us Assist Military K-9s?
- You can purchase an item from our Amazon wish list for us to give to the dog and their handler.
- You can purchase Dogs On Duty Gear from our Store where all proceeds support our cause.
- You can make a financial donation to our organization to help us to purchase specific items that individual Police K-9 handlers have requested.
- You can share our Facebook Page Dogs on Duty MO with your friends and tell others about what we do.